Fee, fi, fo, fum… this Kale, Cherry & Walnut Salad is SO. MUCH. YUM.
You see, kale is one of my new favorite things to eat (and I’m not just saying that to make up for the gajillion cookies I consumed over the holidays). Once I knew how to prepare it so it didn’t taste like something only a rabbit could enjoy, I started using it for anything and everything. You’d be surprised how many ways you can use kale and actually LIKE it.
Wanna know the best part? The nitty-gritty? The little secret? Kale is so bomb-diggety good for you, you won’t even know what to do with all that health – except have more of it, of course! (And never say “bomb-diggety” again, of course.) And it’s super-duper easy to prepare.
Here are some great ways to get your kale fix:
- Put it in a salad. Whether it’s tossed with walnuts, tart dried cherries, crisp red onion, soft goat cheese and a delicious honey-dijon vinaigrette like in this Kale, Cherry & Walnut Salad (photos/recipe below) or mixed up with some yummy caramelized onions and raw beets like in this Caramelized Onion & Kale Salad, not much can beat the flavor and health benefits of a raw kale salad. You get your Vitamins A, C and K and a tasty meal, too. Tip: Tossing your kale with salt or dressing and letting it sit for 10-30 minutes will soften the leaves, making them much easier and tastier to eat.
- Have it for breakfast. I’m the kind of girl who goes for the carbs in the morning (hello, pancakes and waffles and toast!), but when I’ve had a little too much carboloading and need a refresher at daybreak, kale is the answer. I love it in this Strawberry-Kale Smoothie, or in these scrumdiddlyumptious Sweet Potato, Feta and Kale Muffins.
- Stir it into soups and stir fries. Kale can really steal the show at dinnertime – and in the best way possible. It tastes great in soups and stir fries, like this Italian Sausage-Kale Soup or this Chicken-Vegetable Chow Mein. It’s a great replacement for other greens like lettuce, spinach and bok choy.
- Serve it on the side. If you’re not a fan of putting kale in the main dish – or you’re just not sure you love it (yet), you can serve it on the side to round out a healthy meal. Some of my favorite ways to serve kale as a side dish are as crunchy kale chips with a veggie burger or sautéed with chicken or salmon. YUM.
- Article: Strawberry-Kale Smoothie
- Baked Chipotle Kale Chips Recipe
- Sweet Potato, Kale and Feta Muffins Recipe